Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Rant: Talky MOJO STEALING Coaches!

I really hate it when coaches talk too much in a workshop. I understand that they have knowledge and they need to convey it, but there should be a limit to how much they are allowed to talk as a coach in a 2 hour workshop.

The worst example is when you do a scene and the director says "cut" or "stop" and then begins to analyze the scene and talk about what would have been a "better choice", or "where we should have gone with the scene." F*%K YOU! I was perfectly happy having a scene about a school of fish that were trying to solve an underwater murder mystery...I don't care if it resembled some news story that made you think about Sarah Palin and you wanted to see a social/political satire! Go straddle a narwhal you chlorinated gene pool!

I feel better now. In all honest this has really only happened to me once or twice. As a director it is easy to analyze where a scene should go in your mind because you are just observing. So I don't blame them for thinking it, but sometimes they need to just shut up and analyze the scene at hand and let go of their preconceptions.

1 comment:

  1. I agree, but I think we should distinguish between scene talking and theory talking.

    I have a personal rule that a coach shouldn't talk about a scene half as long as the scene itself existed (and that's a maximum).

    However, I think a scene can inspire a much longer conversation about the theory of improvisation.

    I don't want to hear what you think I should have done in that last scene, I want to hear what you think I should be doing in every scene.

    ReplyDelete